U.S. Living Will Registry is very sensitive to the privacy of our living will
and health care proxy registrants and to the confidentiality of the information
and the documents they register with us. We are committed to maintaining this
privacy and confidentiality. The policies of the Registry regarding privacy and
confidentiality are outlined below.
- No identifying information is collected from the U.S. Living Will
Registry's web site.
- The Registry will provide identifying information, emergency contact
information, and an exact copy of the advance directive provided to it by
the registrant, to any health care provider that requests this information
as long as the request complies with the Policies and Procedures of the
- The Registry only provides information and documents to health care
providers (hospitals, doctors, skilled nursing facilities, nursing
facilities, home health agencies, providers of home health care, ambulatory
surgery facilities, and hospices).
- Health care providers are required to locate facsimile machines, which
receive information and documents from the Registry, in a place where the
privacy and confidentiality of the documents will be maintained.
- Information transmitted via Internet is encrypted and secure.
- Health care providers are required to make the transmitted document a part
of the confidential medical record.
- U.S. Living Will Registry collects, retains and transmits the information
and documents provided to it by registrants for the purpose of making this
information available to health care providers throughout the country should
the need arise.
- U.S. Living Will Registry does not share registrant information with
- U.S. Living Will Registry does not sell registrant information to outside
- The U.S. Living Will Registry voluntarily complies with the Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).